Saturday, April 18, 2009

#4: Death Proof (2007)


Death Proof is a 2007 Quentin Tarantino film starring Kurt Russel, Rosario Dawson (Clerks 2), Zoe Bell (who's an actual stunt woman, so she's essentially playing herself), Vanessa Ferlito, Sydney Tamiia Poiter, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Tracie Thoms.

Death Proof is just one half of '
Grindhouse', Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez' homage to 70's and 80's drive-in movies of the 'b' category. The other film was 'Planet Terror' -which I found hugely forgettable. All I remember was that there was zombies and Bruce Willis was in it for about 3 minutes, total...

I think Death Proof is, for the most part, a success, but it could have been SO much better. For one, it basically repeats itself in the second half. I mean, the second batch of girls are almost identical to the first,
only these bitches is fightin' back. He spent way too much time developing the first crop, did we even need them? What if we just had that first killing with the Blondie? That's all we really needed to get the 'he's a psychopath' thing across. We learned why the movie is called 'Death Proof', how his car is 'Death Proof' and why he keeps getting away with all these murders. Yeaaah, I'm beginning to like my idea more and more... Where was I when pen was put to paper? He could have easily merged these two groups of ladies into one.

Secondly, I get what
Quentin was going for with these movies, but he didn't really sell me on the 'gritty 80's b-movie' thing. Where was all the cheesy dialogue and what happened to 80's theme at the start of the second half? Suddenly it just cut and we were in 2007 again. Why?

There's a lot more things I liked about the movie, though. Like the actors, Kurt Russel played the part very well. Stuntman Mike is creepy, but he's suave, which makes you understand how he manages to lure so many woman into his cars (so we think). I think the girls were great too, especially Rosario Dawson (Abernathy). She's such a great actress, I just love her. I also really liked Zoe Bell, who's an actual stunt woman. I think she should do more acting roles, she's really very funny. I liked all the girls, honestly. Also, the music kicks ass. 'Down in Mexico' is a little gem I never would have heard if it weren't for this movie.

'He wears a red bandanna, plays a cool piana...'

Even with all it's faults I still give this movie two thumbs up!
+ You are dead inside if you don't do a fist pump at the end.
It's just mindless fun!


- Courtenay

0 comments: